Designated Survivor is a political thriller created by David Guggenheim based on the United States policy of having a designated survivor, an individual in the Presidential line of succession who is chosen to stay away from high profile events like the State of the Union and presidential inaugurations in case of attack.
The series was originally broadcast for two seasons on ABC, before being commissioned for a third season, which was released on Netflix. Netflix then canceled the series, but all seasons are available to view on the service.
- "America's fate rests in the hands of a low-level official after an attack on Washington decimates the government in this gripping political thriller."
- —Netflix Synopsis
Following the largest terrorist attack on American soil in the history of the country, Tom Kirkman, the former Secretary of Housing and Urban Development, is sworn in as President of the United States. Whilst dealing with enemies, both foreign and domestic, Kirkman must also calm the country's general state of unease and resentment at having an unelected Commander in Chief.
Cast and CharactersEdit
- Kiefer Sutherland as Tom Kirkman
- Natascha McElhone as Alex Kirkman
- Adan Canto as Aaron Shore
- Italia Ricci as Emily Rhodes
- Kal Penn as Seth Wright
- Maggie Q as Hannah Wells
- LaMonica Garrett as Mike Ritter