Netflix is a multi-billion dollar media-service provider based in Los Gatos, California, USA. The company was founded in 1997 by Reed Hastings and Marc Randolph. The company currently offers online video on demand services, but also produces and distributes movies and series under their Netflix Original brand.
In January 2020, the service reach a global total of 203.7 million paid users worldwide. In April 2021, Netflix had 208 million subscribers, including 74 million in the United States and Canada. The service is offered worldwide, except in China, Syria, North Korea, and Crimea due to local restrictions or US sanctions.
- Free trial: As with most services, Netflix offers a free month trial to its users. There are no commitments and users are free to cancel anytime.
- Basic: The basic plan offers users ability to stream content on one screen at a time in Standard Definition. This plan costs $8.99/month and is Netflix's most basic plan after the trial.
- Standard: The standard plan allows streaming on two screens at a time and allows users to download on two devices at the same time in HD. The plan costs $12.99/month.
- DVD: For those that prefer DVD's, customers are able to keep one disc at a time for as long as they choose. The cost of this plan is $7.99/month, but rises to $9.99 if users prefer higher definition Blu-ray.
- Premium: The premium plan is Netflix's most expensive and offers the ability for streaming on four screens at once — this is tiered towards larger families and costs $15.99/month. Users can stream in HD or 4K Ultra HD.
- DVD: Again, if users prefer discs, the premier DVD plan allows users to keep two discs at a time for as long as they choose and costs $11.99/month. If users prefer Blu-ray, the plan rises to $14.99/month.
- Free trial: As with its US plans, Netflix offers its UK users a free months trial, commitment free.
- Basic: The basic plan offers users the ability to watch on one screen at a time in Standard Definition — this includes the ability to download on one device at a time. The cost of this plan is £5.99/month.
- Standard: The standard plan offers users the ability to stream content in HD on two screens at a time, with the ability to download on two screens also. The cost of this plan is £8.99/month.
- Premium: The premium plan is Netflix's most expensive plan and its highest tier. It offers customers the ability to stream content on four screens at a time in both HD and Ultra HD — they are also free to download on four devices too. This plan costs £11.99/month.
- Netflix operates geo-blocking software to ensure licensing laws are upheld.
- Netflix also operates some of the media-industries most sophisticated VPN detection software.
- Netflix's DVD plans are offered through their subsidiary
- Fast.com, a wholly owned subsidiary of Netflix, shows visitors the current broadband speeds they are receiving from their ISPs. The statistics show ping, upload and download speeds and other details that may be interesting.
- Netflix and The CW had previously shared a symbiotic relationship. The CW exclusively licensed its content — such as TV Series Riverdale — to Netflix eight days following a series finale.
- This deal began in 2011 and was renewed in 2016, however in 2019 The CW chose not to renew the deal.
- In 2020, Netflix signed a deal with Microsoft — for an undisclosed sum of money — to restrict 4K streaming to their Edge browser.
- Other browsers, such as Chrome or Firefox, are unable to stream Netflix in 4K. This does not affect mobile, tv or PC apps.