Orange Is the New Black (Also known as OITNB) is a Netflix Original series that premiered July 11, 2013 and ended July 26, 2019.
The series is based on the memoir Orange Is the New Black: My Year in a Women's Prison by Piper Kerman, which focuses on her experiences in a minimum-security prison. The series was created by Jenji Kohan and, through its run, became Netflix's most-watched original.
- "A privileged New Yorker ends up in a women's prison when a past crime catches up with her in this Emmy-winning series from the creator of "Weeds.""
- —Netflix Synopsis
The series focuses on Piper Chapman, a woman living in New York City until she is sentenced to fifteen-months at Litchfield Penitentiary for transporting drug-money for her girlfriend, Alex Vause. The series focuses on the complexity of living in an all-woman, minimum-security prison, including sexual relationships, riots and dealing with a new life.
Cast and CharactersEdit
- Taylor Schilling as Piper Chapman
- Laura Prepon as Alex Vause
- Michael Harney as Sam Healy
- Michelle Hurst as Miss Claudette Pelage
- Kate Mulgrew as Galina "Red" Reznikov
- Jason Biggs as Larry Bloom
- Uzo Aduba as Suzanne "Crazy Eyes" Warren
- Danielle Brooks as Tasha "Taystee" Jefferson
- Natasha Lyonne as Nicky Nichols
- Taryn Manning as Tiffany "Pennsatucky" Doggett
- Selenis Leyva as Gloria Mendoza
- Adrienne C. Moore as Cindy "Black Cindy" Hayes
- Dascha Polanco as Dayanara "Daya" Diaz
- 16 Emmy Award nominations and four wins.